Faith Can Move Mountains... But Dynamite Works Better

Saturday, October 4, 2014

A Day In The Life Of A Dog

Some links to see to before we get ourselves started today. Norma was busy, with posts on rooting for the hometown talent and a passage from Sam's Story. Yesterday was Friday, so Parsnip had a Square Dog post. Shelly had a Yom Kippur post. And Krisztina had this pic of the week.

Now then, once again it's time for my regular dog and cat point of view blogs, and with Canadian Thanksgiving not that far off, it seems the ideal subject. As always, the dog starts things off.


7:35 AM. Awake. Dreamed of chasing my ever elusive tail.


7:38 AM. Taking a look outside. No trace of the annoying squirrel. That doesn't mean he's not out there somewhere, plotting some nefarious scheme of world domination.


7:43 AM. Good morning, human! Did you sleep well? Have you given any thought to breakfast?


7:48 AM. Wolfing down a delicious breakfast of kibbles. Yum yum yum!


7:52 AM. Out the back door for my morning constitutional. I ask the human to wait for me if she's planning on going anywhere today.


8:10 AM. Dashing like a lunatic through the back fields, barking my head off. 


8:22 AM. Chasing a couple of deer. For no other reason than I like the exercise. I mean seriously, what would I do with one of those if I caught it?


8:24 AM. Getting chased by a pretty angry doe. What did I do to deserve that?


8:45 AM. Have found my way over to see Spike The Magnificent, Tormentor of Squirrels. Good morning, Spike.


8:47 AM. Spike and I discuss the lack of a sense of humour in your average deer.


8:50 AM. Spike and I discuss this big holiday the humans are having soon. Thanksgiving, which might mean prime mooching opportunities, actually... but if the human has some of her relatives over, that might include kids who like to ride me like a horse.


8:52 AM. Spike and I part ways after comparing intelligence on the movements of the hordes of squirrels. 


9:18 AM. Back home. Hello, human! Is that baking I smell?


9:26 AM. Watching the human baking. Keeping up my patented sad eyes mooching expression. Sooner or later she'll give in. It's just a matter of time. And patience. Time and patience. And a pair of the most pleading eyes in doggie history.


9:33 AM. The human tells me she's doing some baking ahead of time for Thanksgiving. And that she'll be hosting the family here. Oh, no, human! Does that include those kids who keep mistaking me for a horse?


9:42 AM. My mooching has paid off. The human gives me a couple of butterscotch cookies.


9:55 AM. Like I said, time and patience. More mooching has led to more treats. Yum yum yum!


10:23 AM. This might rate as one of my best mooching days ever. I'm having so much fun chowing down on the treats my human's giving me!


10:47 PM. Wandering into the living room. Lying down on back, paws up in the air. I might have eaten too many treats.


12:35 PM. Waking up from nap. Dreamed of gingerbread cookies.


12:41 PM. The human continues to bake. I stare out the window. Maintaining vigilance. Hey, what's that? Movement? It could be that squirrel... human! Let me out!


12:43 PM. Out the door. No, wait... it's not a squirrel... it's the cat from down the road. For some reason I can never really understand, she doesn't like me. Hello, cat!


12:44 PM. I run up to the cat, wagging my tail to show my good intentions. She hisses at me instead.


12:46 PM. The cat continues to chew me out with rather colourful vocabulary. Okay, fine, we don't have to be friends.


6:15 PM. Having dinner. The human's cooked up some steak and cut up a few strips for me.Yum yum yum!

The whole house smells like pumpkin pie. Any chance I can have some of that?


11:38 PM. The human heads off for upstairs. I shall stay down here, and keep watch over the house, as is my station in life.

At least until I fall asleep.

Perhaps I'll figure out the mystery of why humans turn pumpkins into pie and cut them up into strange faces later in the month.


13 comments:

  1. Love slobber as performance art!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I empathize with the cake icer. I had a dog once who could slip a biscuit out of the pan cooling on the counter, without leaving a trace. I thought I'd miscounted till I saw her do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had such fun reading that. Thanks William!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! The Purrsonal groomer looks almost exactly like both my Biscuit (Yorkie) and late Precious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do find the best pics to go with your stories William, guaranteed to bring a smile to my dial :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, that's great. Now I feel like I'm part dog because when I was little I let my siblings ride on my back like a horse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jane and Chris: from the dog's point of view it is art!

    @Cheryl: very tricky!

    @Denise: you're welcome!

    @Diane: it can be a rare thing to see dogs and cats get along that well.

    @Grace: thanks!

    @Eve: apparently my grandfather did the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At first, I thought the Scottie was one of the Square Ones!

    Love the one with the poor guy being pulled off the roof by his dog....

    ReplyDelete
  9. When my Square Ones were small and they might just might have done something naughty, they looked just like the first photo.
    I miss the tiny paws !
    Love so many of the photos but the offering of love is perfect.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was a pup...hahahahaha! His face is so adorable and old like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should have seen our hound dog Dutchess smile on the mornings I put the Thanksgiving turkey into the oven. She knew there would be treats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a dog that used to sit like the one in the "Masterpiece Theater" picture. It was so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Norma: that doggie's singleminded.

    @Parsnip: thank you!

    @Shelly: he does look like an old timer!

    @Mari: dogs know when treats are in the offing.

    @Kelly: thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comments and opinions always welcome. If you're a spammer, your messages aren't going to last long here, even if they do make it past the spam filters. Keep it up with the spam, and I'll send Dick Cheney after you.