Faith Can Move Mountains... But Dynamite Works Better

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Rise Up, Turkeys, And Overthrow The Humans! It Is Your Destiny!


I know, it has nothing to do with Thanksgiving, but indulge me...


And so it was, on that day in late October, that the conspiracy began in a small Maine town that would soon overthrow the human order. With a conversation between a trio of turkeys, the ground was set for the Turkey Revolution, and from that day on, nothing would ever be the same again. Before the humans knew what was happening, across the world, the turkeys had taken control, had established a new society with themselves at the head of the table. There was much wailing and distress among the humans, for they knew not how to take back what had once been theirs...


Yes, it's Thanksgiving once again for our American friends, that particular time of year in which gluttony is allowed, football games are played endlessly, and epic meals are served. People gather together from across the land (this is a big travel time for the Yanks), marking a tradition that supposedly goes back to the time of the pilgrims. The holiday season goes into full swing with Christmas inexplicably linked in the minds of Americans to this particular holiday. It becomes a spectable writ large, which baffles the rest of us. We Canadians had Thanksgiving weeks ago, and we don't turn it into a major production!


As is so often the case, the editorial cartoonists take in the theme of Thanksgiving into their work. This year, the President and the slate of Republican candidates (it's still nearly a year away!) find themselves the target of some of those cartoons, while the holiday itself serves as good inspirational fodder.....


I'll say it straight out... I'm not all that much of a turkey fan. I'd prefer a nice roast. Maybe some steak, cooked in a good wine sauce. Of course, that's just a meal. The Thanksgiving dinner is, like I said, epic. We're talking about turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, three or four kinds of vegetables, stuffing, cranberry sauce, apple sauce, breads and rolls, some ham on the side, pumpkin pie, blueberry pie, pecan pie, pies filled with small mini pies...

With all that food, who needs to eat for the next week? It's no wonder falling asleep after dinner is typical at these occasions....


Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends. Don't get too stuffed. After all, there's Black Friday and the insanity of massive savings and big lineups to face, for those of you so inclined.


And if you're wondering what happened to the turkey you turned your back on... ask the cat.


15 comments:

  1. I'm not big on turkey, either. I dated too many of them in the wild days of my youth.

    Roast sounds good. And wine sauce. Definitely wine sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the opposite...I prefer a nice turkey over a roast...unless it's roast pork.

    One thing I don't understand about American's is their love of sweet potatoes....ok, sweet potatoes aside, that's bad enough...but then you add little baby marshmallows to the mix....ick....that just sounds horrendous! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom used to make turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberries, corn, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. A very traditional meal. But since Collin's working and we have to eat at home, I make a large turkey breast, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy and jellied cranberries. Collin doesn't like sweet potatoes, so we have rice. He doesn't like pumpkin pie, and I can't eat a whole pie, so we're having a strawberry cheesecake and a peach pie with (I hope) ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer chicken Parmesan. Yum. Of course, the politicians are definitely decapitating this country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pies filled with small mini pies! Ha ha!!! That's my kind of Thanksgiving. I love ham too. I'd make a ham w/the turkey if I had more mouths to feed this year. And I'm the only one who likes sweet potatoes so I cut it from the meal.:( I am baking away rigth now to make room for the turkey tomorrow.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, everybody...we're all going to Christina's house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha! Aw, I wish you could. That would be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never understood turducken. Is one bird not enough for the traditional Thanksgiving festival of gluttony?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Son is cooking a Duck Breast for us and making some stuffing on the side. Daughter and friend who are Vegetarian are making everything else.
    I happen to like Yams better than Sweet Potatoes but roasted and never with marshmallows.

    They will cook and I get to sit and talk.
    lovely !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  10. As if we didn't have enough turkeys in Washington ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks William. Fun turkey talk, now I must go stuff one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I much prefer chicken to turkey. I love that Occupy New England one, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the turkey lamp or the turkey posing as a lamp. oh and, the really, really fat cat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really should know more about Canadian history, but I'm sorry to say I don't. Do you really celebrate a Thanksgiving? How did Canada and the US become two separate countries? Was Canada settled first? See, what I mean. There's a lot I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun blog. I love Thanksgiving with all the foods, but I don't do Black Fridays.

    ReplyDelete

Comments and opinions always welcome. If you're a spammer, your messages aren't going to last long here, even if they do make it past the spam filters. Keep it up with the spam, and I'll send Dick Cheney after you.