Faith Can Move Mountains... But Dynamite Works Better

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Heaven And Hell: Sitting Down With A Cast Of Characters, Part Three

Me: Now, if we could all get back in order and get things back on track, I'd really appreciate it. We have to wrap things up here.

Stryker: We'll try.

Devon: Speak for yourself.

Claire: I'll have to get back to you.

Cain: Look, if it's not too much trouble, I have to go hunt some IRA bastards down and kill them in all sorts of terrible ways. Can we hurry up?

Nahas: Did you actually admit to that with intelligence officers around?

Cain: Oh, come on, I've got a free pass from our author here. Besides, it's the bloody IRA!

Nahas: Didn't they sign a peace treaty some years ago?

Cain: Not with me. I still have scores to settle.

Me: Cain?

Cain: Yes.

Me: I can forego that free pass, you know.

Cain: Shutting up now.

Eden: Let me ask you this. Does this help your writing process?

Me: Of course. It's taking you all as characters out of your normal setting and letting me interact with you. In a manner of speaking. It gets me inside your heads.

Devon: Aren't we already inside your head? You did create us.

Zaira:
Inside his head is a scary place.

Me: All right, who told you that?

Dayan: Well said, my dear.

Beigel: What was that? Dahlia and I are busy playing tongue hockey.

Dahlia: His breath tastes like peppermint, and I love that swirly thing he does inside my mouth...

Dahlia and Beigel go back to making out.

Me: I suppose I shouldn't even bother asking you two to pay attention.

Dayan: Sorry, but I suspect it's a lost cause.

Zaira: They're addicted to each other.

Eden: They're exhibitionists, actually. Last week they were going at each other out in the hot tub while everyone was watching.

Cain: Really? Any chance we can get a repeat?

Stryker: Nice idea, but maybe later.

Me: Let's finish up. I'm at a point now where I've launched into the proverbial Very Bad Thing...
Claire: Yes, I understand you're trying to trademark those three words.

Me: How do you all feel about that? About the worst case scenario?

Nahas: How should we? You refuse to explain this Very Bad Thing to your characters.

Cain: I'd suspect I have something to do with it, but he's told me I only appear briefly in the book. Unless that was a smoke screen. Was it, Kendall?

Me: That's for me to know and for you to wonder until the third book.

Devon: The worst case scenario? Is that what you're writing?

Me: Yes, it is.

Devon: Why not write a family drama? Or a legal novel? Or go for something that'll win you the Governor General's Award?

Me: You know about the Governor General's Award?

Devon: Certainly. Why not go for something like that?

Me: Because it's people like Margaret Atwood who win that sort of thing, and to be perfectly honest, I find Margaret Atwood tedious, boring, and insufferable.

Nahas: Oh, good. I'm not the only one.

Claire: You too? So do I!

Dayan: I'd say we all do.

Devon: No disagreement here.

Me: Great. We all agree we don't like Margaret Atwood. Now. Am I ever going to get an answer out of you? What do you think about the book shifting towards its central event?

Stryker: Might be nice to clue your characters into what that event is.

Me: Maybe afterwards when we're not being read.

Zaira: Oh, you mean by those people out there. Hello, everyone out beyond the Fourth Wall! Our author is holding out on us.

Me: So much for straight ans... Rafi, Dahlia, I don't think anyone appreciates having your clothes tossed on us like that.

Eden: Speak for yourself. I'm a voyeur. I keep wondering if I should just toss aside all inhibitions, strip off my clothes, and join them.

Cain: Indulge that thought. By all means.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and opinions always welcome. If you're a spammer, your messages aren't going to last long here, even if they do make it past the spam filters. Keep it up with the spam, and I'll send Dick Cheney after you.