Faith Can Move Mountains... But Dynamite Works Better

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Fingernails On A Blackboard

Oh, yes, the fingernails on a blackboard. We all know what it sounds like, don't we? That awful screeching sound. It's the same thing with the old phrase, strangling a cat. That one's usually used when someone's singing badly. I've always liked the term torturing a mime, though that's probably a service to humanity rather then a painful thing. Though the mime might disagree. Well, I know of someone who's got that quality to her voice.

I should break here and tell you that my ears are rather sensitive. Some years ago I had a bout with an inner ear virus, and during the course of diagnosing it,  an ear doctor told me I had hearing both below and above the normal hearing range of humans. So, I can hear things you won't pick up on.

Which brings us to the matter at hand. I have no idea who this woman is; nor do I want to. In my hometown, from time to time I'll stop at the main branch of the library. Periodically a woman comes in with her boyfriend. They're both in their fifties, I suppose, from looking at them. He's in a wheelchair, and I've picked up that they're involved from things she says to one librarian or another. It's hard not to hear; her voice is fairly loud.

And what's worse is some quality in her voice, the pitch of it, you see. It's got a slightly nasal quality, high pitched, and when I hear her speak, it's painful to the ears. I can hear her from a long way off, and she seems to like talking to librarians. And talking. And talking some more. And her voice has that fingernails on a blackboard thing going for it.


I shudder at the thought of that voice, sounding yet again in my vicinity. It's odd, a voice capable of causing pain. I wonder if other people have the same complaint when they see her about. Or hear her about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and opinions always welcome. If you're a spammer, your messages aren't going to last long here, even if they do make it past the spam filters. Keep it up with the spam, and I'll send Dick Cheney after you.